Italia MDC, Italy
The gasification plant, which featured EQTEC Advanced Gasification Technology when it was commissioned in 2015, will process c.7,000 metric tonnes of locally sourced waste biomass per year. It will take a mix of straw and forestry wood waste from regional farmers and forests and will be upgraded to process a greater diversity of biomass feedstocks over time. The green electricity and heat produced will be used by the local community.
Our role: Through a consortium with MetalNRG, a publicly-traded UK investing company, and two family offices, we are the co-owner, operator and provider of gasification technology and will be the O&M contractor at the site in Tuscany, Italy.
Developments: The plant, previously commissioned in 2015, has reached the following stages:
- Acquisition of the plant has been completed (financial close)
- Connection to the grid is in place
- An Italian EPC contractor, COSMI, has been appointed
- The plant is expected to be updated, recommissioned and re-powered for operations by Q2 2022
- The site will become the first of our ‘Market Development Centres (MDCs), which will showcase our technology in a fully operational, commercial setting.
Site update – December 2021: The site was fully cleaned and relevant components were disassembled and cleared in October. Gasification and associated technology items were ordered and deliveries started arriving, on schedule, later in November and into December. We’re continuing to coordinate with our construction and commissioning partners.